About how the files are organized in an EU2 installation. (Note: For the moment this assumes a Windows system.)
Main folder level (without any mod directorys)
EU2 installs completely in a directory of choice, e g: C:\Games\Europa Universalis II\.
In this directory (from hereon called "main folder level") the structure is like this:
AI avi Config DB GFX Map Music Scenarios sfx Tutorial
ASYCFILT.DLL comcat.dll eu 2 event scripting.doc EU2.exe EU2_Settings.exe Fantasia.eug Napoleon's Ambition.eug net.cfg Readme.txt settings.cfg ... and other files
|(Main directory, contains all folders below)||The topmost level in the EU2 file structure. The EU2 program (exe) is here and some important *.cfg files. Also the EU2_Settings program (exe) that sets the display resolution and more is found here.|
|AI||AI files. Controls the behaviour of the countrys they belongs to.|
|avi||Intro files. Contains the introduction and other videos that plays when You start EU2. Sometimes removed or renamed by the player to solve some graphical problems.|
|Config||Text files and misc. The important file here is the text.csv that contains much of the text that displays in the game.|
|DB||Many different types of files. Here you can find the files containing the events in the game, monarchs, leaders and other types of files.|
|GFX||Graphical elements. Here you can find flags, shields, backgrounds to the menus in the game etc.|
|Map||Mapdata. Here is the code that defines the maps used in EU2 and some other data such as colors and movement in terrain.|
|Music||Music and playlists. Here is the music played in the game including the playlists for each century.|
|Scenarios||Scenarios and savegames. Here are the scenarios You choose among when starting a new game in EU2. They contains also base data for the countrys in each of the scenarios.
The games You save are also found here.
|sfx||Sound effects. Contains the sound effects that are used in the game, e g when a manufactury is constructed or an army disbands.|
|Tutorial||Tutorial files for EU2. Data to be used by the tutorial in the game.|
The AI folder contains solely AI files, that contains the code for controlling the AI behaviour.
Normally they have the name format "country.ai". But they can technically have any name. In some mods they have e g the *.txt suffix.
This folder contains the binkplay.exe and some intro files. Filelist:
binkplay.exe dedication.bik eu2_intro.bik intro-bik paradox.bik
Sometimes they can cause some display problems (eventually a CTD), so it happens that the folder have to be renamed/deleted to solve the problem.
This folder, in spite of its name, does not contain any *.cfg files.
Its content is mainly text strings that are used in the game. The most important file, the text.csv file, contains most of the event and action texts that are displayed in the game.
Similar content is in the Buttons.txt and editor.csv. The Sfx.txt seems to contain links between actions and action sounds.
This folder contains several different game files, some of them in subfolders. They define the following objects:
- Monarchs. The historical monarchs for all the different countries. The monarch files have the name format "monarchs.country_tag", e g "monarchs.eng". They are placed in their own folder named "monarchs".
- Leaders. The historical military leaders (e g generals) for all the different countrys. The leader files have the name format "leaders.country_tag", e g "leaders.eng". They are placed in their own folder named "Leaders".
- Events. The historical and random events for both specific countries and for the game in general. In vanilla EU2, event files have the name format "major_country_tag.txt", e g "major_eng.txt". They are placed in their own folder named "Events". But which files (in the Events folder) that are used are defined in the file "events.txt" that is located in the DB folder.
- Combat. The definition of combat behaviour and troop type strengths in different time periods and development levels. They are mainly placed in their own "combat" folder. The files have the *.csv suffix. Outside of the combat folder there are some files in the DB folder that affects the combats: "LAND.csv" and "NAVAL.csv".
- Provinces. The definition of province attributes and the placement of some objects in the provinces. The single file for that is "province.csv".
- Countries. The definition of some attributes for the countries in the game, like map colors and initial domestic policy. The file used is "country.csv" and for revolts: "revolt.txt".
- Others. Like trade, straits, goods, religions, missions and names for different objects that are not defined elsewhere and more. The files in question are:
armynames.csv colonynames.csv DiplomaticMatrix.csv goods.csv Missions.csv navynames.csv randomleaders.csv religion.csv tax_stab.csv trade.csv traders.csv
There are also some misc. files not mentioned here.
This folder contains several different game files, some of them in subfolders. They defines the following objects:
- Fonts. This directory doesn't contain any font files, but actually stores some pics that are probably used as a background for captions in game.
- Interface. This directory contains the images of all the buttons, backgrounds and objects from the game. It can be modified so that your EU2 interface would look completely different.
- Map. This one, apart from pics of minimap from the left-botton corner, contains the flags and shields of the countries and things that are used on the map (like trees, mountains, ships, etc.)
- Palette. It stores ingame palettes that are used for displaying colours properly.
- Settings. These are things that didn't fit in 'Interface' directory.
The other files:
boat.bmp Cross.bmp Dummy.bmp Empty.bmp infantry.bmp Load_800.bmp Load_1024.bmp Load_1280.bmp Loadingbar.bmp Loadingbar_800.bmp Loadingbar_1024.bmp Loadingbar_1280.bmp Pil.bmp PilSkugga.bmp Sidebar_banner.bmp
This directory stores files used for displaying and generating ingame map. They can be used in hacking your map.
Adjacent.tbl Adjacent_ori.tbl adj-defs.csv Boundbox.tbl colorscales.csv ID.tbl Idgrid.tbl Incgrid.tbl Incognita.tbl Lightmap1.tbl Lightmap2.tbl Lightmap3.tbl Lightmap4.tbl Lightmap5.tbl Province.csv SpirteDB.csv Terraint types.csv
It contains music mp3 files used ingame. You can add your own tracks by coping them to this directory and adding their name to FRONTEND.txt file.
Main folder level with MODS
Assuming the example from above of the main EU2 directory and that we have a mod called "Horror Vacul", the main folder structure could look like this:
AI avi Config DB GFX Horror Vacul Map Music Scenarios sfx Tutorial
The folders that belongs to a certain mod
As of version 1.05 of EU2 and later, You can define a "moddir" that EU2 uses as a base directory for playing the mod.
All files that belongs to a certain mod, e g "Horror Vacul", usually (with one eventual exception) are contained in the mods own folder, "Horror Vacul", as in the example above.
The exception is when You want to be able to select the mod from a normal start of EU2. In this case You must have the topmost scenario file from the mod in the main Scenario folder.
The folder structure is normally the same as in the main directory.
When a file that normally automatically is searched for in a specific folder, e g "DB", is searched from within a mod, EU2 first tries to find the files in the mod directory, "C:\Games\Europa Universalis II\Horror Vacul\DB", and if not found there it select the file from the main directory: "C:\Games\Europa Universalis II\DB".