The main map is the largest area of EU2's user interface, where most of the action takes place.
There are seven modes which the main map may be in, called map modes. Each map mode displays various information suited to particular tasks, by coloring provinces and/or placing icons on them. The first three map modes are not modally associated with particular information screen modes:
- Normal map mode: the default mode. Shows terrain in provinces. The only map mode in which you can see and manipulate military units.
- Political map mode: shows countries via color coding of province owners, and country's capitals
- Economy map mode: shows goods in provinces, and the wealth of provinces via color coding.
The remaining four map modes are linked to particular information screens:
- Religion map mode: shows the state religion of province owners, via color coding of provinces. Highlights the religion of provinces that do not match their owners, via symbols on mismatched provinces. Linked to the send missionary screen.
- Trade map mode: shows the areas which each CoT draws generated trade from, via color coding of provinces. Linked to the center of trade screen.
- Colonization map mode: shows information related to colonization. Linked to the colonization screen.
- Diplomacy map mode: shows the diplomatic agreements, or the diplomatic relations, of one selected country, via color coding of provinces and display of capitals. Linked to the diplomacy screen.
For more information on the various map modes, including what actions may be performed there, see the specific article on the map mode.