Creation of Truces
A truce is created between two countries whenever they cease to be in the state of war with each other. The means of peacemaking does not matter. It may be:
- a normal peace treaty
- a white peace
- a peace forced by a government collapse
- a peace forced by a scripted event (rare)
The expiry date is exactly 5 years after the day on which the peace happened.
Effects of Truces
When two countries have a truce, the following effects hold:
- If either country declares war against the other, it suffers a penalty of -5 stability in addition to other stability hits incidental to declaring war.
- Neither country may impose a trade embargo against the other
- AIs are not allowed to voluntarily change their state religion while under a truce which resulted from a peace treaty where they were force-converted. (Whether or not this effect is actually tied to the truce which changed their religion I don't know. It may be that AIs cannot change religion while under any truce at all.)
Termination of a Truce
A truce ends for only two reasons:
- Immediately upon either country issuing a declaration of war against the other. (Thus taking the stabhit mentioned above.)
- When it expires.
Truces are not ended merely by a state of war existing between two countries. Thus you will occasionally be in a situation where you have more than one truce with the same country, reflecting two wars you got into and finished within 5 years of each other.